View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 07:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Alex, are you planning on storing the scope with the mount laid over 90 degrees to get the profile down? If your going to store upright, then a skillion roof is a good choice, then you only need to lay it over when you slide the top off. If your flipping the roof i guess it doesn't matter.
My options are ... rebuild the pier which is not really on given the work under the surface..I have wire and more wire all wired up with even more wire..it would support the scope and mount even before the cement.

I could cut a section out of the thing on top of the pier but I dont have a welder so I probably would have to have it done..unless I buy a welder.

So I think going for a skillion style roof is the way to proceed.

It is only about another 8 inches so its not a big deal and frankly a roof with some sort of slope is miles better than just a flat box top which was the original plan.

I have a few ideas for a roof all of which are simple.

There will be more weight but that wont matter as the roof will be counter balanced so as to take small motors... maybe the motors off my motorised walking frame ..it is ready to go but stranegly the little height it needs for the standing platform makes me feel unstable... I can pirate the gears and chain... as to a motorised get around I am working towards getting a van that I can run one of the little electric chairs up and into.. the ones you see the old folk driving in the shopping centers... also hopefully my legs will get better..they seem stronger even if the burning wont let up.

I have had a terrible past week on a personal level I could not get to see my daughter for the holidays and a bit of a health scare with a family member but I am putting all that aside and throwing myself into getting this project complete.

I have painted camo on the exterior of the box as it could possibly be seen from the street and around here a neighbour could put me in for not lodging a DA so I want it not to be noticed.

I have already roped a tree and dragged it into place for cover and also growing a passionfruit for cover..all is good.

Have not tunned the scope yet but so far have...
Purchased the lap top, got on the internet via a nice little box, got a plan rather than just use the pre paid phone, purchased the camera based on your advice, purchased electric focuser and installed it notwithstanding that the mounting stuff that came with it was not usable, purchased the finder guider and a little ZWO, got it working with help and guidence from the forum, got a flash coma corrector, added additional tube rings and a alluminum brace for strength and a place to mount the new camera and give the 50 - 200 mm lens a go, should be fun, pulled the mount down now four times, got most of the software to start things, deep sky stacker, PHD, trial of Star Tools, Registax, Smartcap, and some others and the free camera control and near completed all the work to do with the pier and box...plus installed an air conditioner for my bedroom and started some box vegies on the patio. All of which sure beats laying on my back all day... my legs are not happy but itis not real bad pain and could be worse.

The scope needs internal support as the seam is giving away under the four clamps...and I want to baffle it when I strengthen it internally plus build my "stray light extention tube" to fit the new scope.

I have managed some sky shots to get a feel for the city light and must sau it is way better than I thought it would be...but not being able to see all the sky has me feeling lost..strange but most of the sky I cant see and what I can see is not familar.

alex