View Single Post
Old 19-06-2016, 12:23 PM
Jocksquin (Ron)

Thanks for the inpuit

Gday Rex,
thought I posted a reply yesterday but it has gone into cyberspace. Thanks for the heads-up on the driver. Will come in handy when I eventually do some guiding with the Prostar which is it's final destination.
At the moment i am trying to learn astrophotography and am using the Prostar to find my way around. It not going well in my SW 102-500 as i am having trouble with exposure and focus - it's not that I can't reach the focus point with the focuser but the image is crap compared to the eyepiece view. Also exposure control is an issue and I can't get any image in daylight. I am using video capture and haven't tried still yet.
I might also mention that it's too cold for astro stuff down here so I am practising on an offshore bass strait oil rig some 25kms away.
The other night they were burning off gas and the glare just "blew out" any picture. Tried all sort of frame rates and exposures but no luck.
Now we are talking about 10% of the moon's brightness so I'm not sure how this camera is supposed to take lunar and planetary pictures- but I'll press on and keep trying.
Do you know of any articles to reference in using the Prostar and particularly the Toup-sky software (other than the user manual of course)??

Lasty, would be interested in your mod of the finder to produce a guidescope (which is my intention with a 9x50SW). Did you use that online post from the british guy or??

Thanks in advance
Ron