View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Auto Guiding Issues-Advice Sought

Hello.

Over the last two nights I have attempted some AG'ed imaging of the comet.

But the Auto guiding has been very poor,The Orion AG and software is not a fault,it is excellent. I have included some cropped images from last night,may be more experienced imagers might be able to tell what the issue could be.

I adjusted the weight,yesterday so the tube was heavier lens end,I checked speed,Backlash comp on paddle,made some adjustment through the night.The AG is doing it job,when I calibrated it does a little calculation after E-W,before going on to N-S.I really do not think there is any issue with the AG software.

It appears,I may have to pull motors off,and tighten the little bolts that adjust tension on worm-does that sound like where the problem is most likely to be

Is it likely ,this is a 'normal' issue for astro images? Unfortunately no images come to our country property any more,so I cannot pick their brains-most have moved on to other hobbies.( I am starting to see why-this is a very frustrating hobby a lot of the time)

Just looking at these images,the comet images have stars that are 'jaggered' never had that before,the on with 253 the usual trails,I did read the morning an object in the E as this was,the scope set up should have counter weight slightly heavier,I know this was not the case last night,But could re adjusting that make any real meaningful difference?

I think the issue is a bit more than weight balancing adjust.

Any thoughts or suggestions would really be good,otherwise there might be a good AG scope on the market very shortly!

Thanks Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0005  crop.jpg)
29.4 KB81 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0006 crop.jpg)
23.9 KB74 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0011 crop.jpg)
23.9 KB74 views

Last edited by hotspur; 01-09-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spell