View Single Post
Old 14-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
M42
With the OIII filter, the nebula extended well beyond what you see in photos and I saw something I haven't seen before - a fainter streamer looping south of the main cloud. It's small companion, M43 exhibited photographic structure.
Was a great night wasnt it? BTW the outer loopy bit in m42 should be visible in your 10" if you can get it to a dark site.

Quote:
Thors Helmet
Wow! You know that bubble in the photos with the two horns sticking out? Well, forget sitting waiting for your 2 hour exposure to finish, coz you can have that as soon as you step up to the eyepiece. Amazing, almost 3D and I could detect filamentary structure in the bubble. Some more nebulosity was visible around the Thors Helmet which isn't even marked in my Millenium Star Atlas. Very Very cool. Just ask the boys.
This was the high light for me. Amazing detail and everthing I have seen in photos posted here you could see 'live' at the eyepiece

Forget all about messing around with imaging gear, just get some decent aperture going and enjoy the live show

Quote:
And its only now that I've come to realise how crappy our suburban Melbourne skies are compared to the darkness of the southern Mornington Peninsula countryside.
Theres a danger of looking through large aperture and dark skies. Nothing less becomes good enough anymore! Looking through Julians 18" scope certainly cost me some $$$ when I just had to go buy a sdm truss dobby.

Glad you enjoyed the night Sab.