View Single Post
Old 26-05-2019, 10:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Ray for contributing to the thread and indicating an interesting direction for the discussion.
I will google your chap as no doubt one can get a general idea of the proposition presented in a book somewhere on the net even perhaps critique of the premises suggested in that particular book.
But you touch on perhaps the key issue which is of course language and meanings of our words.
I have tried to apply some sort of logic but it is always tied to my interpretation of "infinite".
The relevance of geometry and its effect of fitting a model using geometry, which it the only way it can be in a particular sense but if geometry has difficulty in describing something and does not hardley destroys the possibilities that simple mathematics could point to...that is the generation of multiple opportunities in an "infinite" universe and arguably each in turn be infinitely replicated.
So what does infinity mean.
To me I think it is the word that describes the universe to be endless in size rather than manage infinite like the surface of a sphere approach.
What would be more astounding and probably more correct along the lines of no two snowflakes are the same (how do they know that? Did they check all snow flakes?
....is if infinte is there an underlying rule that prevents replication...if ifinite the opportunity is of course limitless...

The greatest difficulty to confront the implication of infinite in the sense that I conceive it ....
It is difficult to realise how an infinite universe would work...but if you went in one direction ..as say the line of numbers when trying to express 22/7 as a decimal. ..you may never pass thru two galaxies that are the same but maybe at an infinite distance that line should reveal the same over and over..you may only encounter an M 31 every trillion trillion light years when you apply infinite your sums only produce infinite.
The opposite position is just as intriguing. .that of a finite universe...what does that even mean ..finite means it exists withing something else...to be finite there must be an outside and that the big bang singularity can only have occured within another "space or medium" and that indeed when the universe expands it can only expand into that "external region"...again words ...
Alex