View Single Post
Old 21-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Placesinthedark (Stephen)

10 or 12 inch dob

Hi all,

I currently have a 90mm refractor that uses wifi and an app to move to a target. It's been great fun, but I'm really thirsty for a scope I would move myself as I like the idea of just looking about the sky. (The alignment process fails more often than not so that also has turned me off using it)

I've done some research and have found Andrews to have the best overall deal for a 10 or 12 inch solid tube dob, with 4 extra eyepieces overall plus a fan/RA finder/ 10:1 focuser that the other brands don't have.

Is Andrews a good company that take care with shipping and are those extra worth the $130+ in shipping or should I just go to a Brisbane store (2 hours drive) and see if I can get some kinda deal as the Skywatchers I see don't have all those eyepieces and extras?

I really like that Andrews seem to give a dam about it's products but what are actual customers' experiences?

I think the portability of a 12 inch is not too much issue and already plan to get either a dolly or a trolley to wheel out from the shed to my lawn. But is there a big difference with 10 to 12 inch in terms of moving it around. I'm 38 and fairly fit and strong.

My town has some light pollution but probably a 3/4 on the bortle scale. Do you think it's still worth going for the 12 inch or maybe just go with a 10 inch due to the light pollution in my town. I own a Kia Rio at the moment and worry a 12 inch won't fit if I ever want to take it out to some darker skies.

Cheshire or laser collimator for a first time dob user?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for any and all help!

Steve.