View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 06:12 AM
CometGuy

Gama,

Near the bottom of Christian's 10D vs D70 page:

"At the 500nm wavelength, isolated by an interferential filter of 20nm range, it appears that the Nikon D70 produces 0.848 times less signal than the Canon 10D in the green channel for a same ISO sensitivity. This being computed by correcting the instrumental effect (pixel size effect, lens type)."

He does not mention he corrects it for differences in amplifier gain which he gives as 2.98 e-/ADU for the D70 and 2.41 for the 10D. So the actual relative green response is:

0.848 x 2.98/2.41 = 1.05x (OK a 5% relative advantage to the Sony

In this case he goes on to say that noise is somewhat higher in the D70, etc, etc so the final outcome is that there is similiar performance (but that the camera has to be worked using 'mode 3') .

These tests were done with the hotfilter in place, but what I was saying is that removing them would not effect the above Quantum efficiency result (i.e the hotfilter transmissions are very similiar).

I have seen QE figures for the Sony monochrome CCD's at 67% from the starlight site for the sensor used in the SXV-H9 - I certainly believe that. For the SXV-M25 it is 'equivalent to 60% QE at peak of green filters' and that there is 50% rolloff (I interprete this as 50% QE) at 400nm and 650nm. This sounds like they are describing the underlying monochrome sensor. So you need to consider the effect of the bayer filters, I think.

Terry