View Single Post
Old 03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
CometGuy

Gama,

In your original post/s you didn't show much tact considering many of us own Canon gear, so are you really suprised by the response? But the questions and challenges coming from me are going to be the same ones you will face on other forums. I know your comment that the Nikon D50 is too noisy will get challenged as well (IMO it could be the true DSLR champion, especially if Duncan Munroe gets his 'mode 3' automation device marketed ).

The ONLY serious testing I know comparing the Canon CMOS and Sony CCD Quantum Efficiency was done by Christian Buil. He found little difference in quantum efficiency between the Canon and Nikon Sensors (if you like I'll point out the specific parts where this is evaluated, but assume you have already done that). He also has determined the transmission curves for both the Nikon and Canon hotfilters, and the outcome is still the same if removed.

The right offset you see in the 20D histogram is not dark signal, it is a numeric offset. Try doing a series of different exposures and you will see that it remains almost constant. Doing what I did and removing this offset is absolutely valid for the comparision. The D200 histograms does look impressive, but again is the filtering at work? A small crop of the dark frame, contrast boosted to clearly show the texture would give au some idea.

At the end of the day I am not interested in a Nikon DSLR until they bring out a camera that allows true raw mode

Terry