View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Nice report Rob - certainly sounds like a fun night in Fornax et al. As others have said, you do a great report witha modest scope. And I like the sketch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
Wow That is An amazing report.
I haven't seen any of these apart from ngc 253 which an absolutely amazing galaxy and ngc 288 which your description fits pretty much perfectly with mine.

What nine galaxies in the same fov thats awesome.
You have given me so many more dso's which i know i can view because your scope is 1cm and a half smaller than mine.

Only problem now is star hopping.Are they hard to star hop to?

keep posting your reprts they amazing

orestis
Orestis, they are not hard to star hop to, but it took me quite a while to make out Fornax the first time that I went looking for it. It's one of the more subtle constellations. I usually find this field by using three 4th mag stars in Eridanus that from a nice equilateral triangle with sides of about one degree. They are about 1/2 way down the south side of the big V formation in Eridanus that is pointing roughly east at the moment. It is a truly amazing field of galaxies if you've got dark skies. At VicSouth, Tim Nott put the Argo/Servocat on his 22" dob on spiral around this area - it was just amazing to watch bunches of galaxies wheel through the ep. You will have a great time if you can find it.

Last edited by Paddy; 07-01-2010 at 10:09 PM.