Thread: raw vs jpg?
View Single Post
Old 18-07-2007, 01:55 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

raw vs jpg?

what do you shoot?
being a new DSLR owner i have never been confronted with the ability of picking RAW format (or in Nikon land NEF). after doing much research i have found that if you get the shot right straight up then RAW is not needed and one might as well save room on ones storage device by shooting the highest qualiaty Jpg avaliable to the camera. However because RAW is not compressed and has had nothing done to it what so ever (hence the name i guess) no quality is lost at all... or rather everything is caught but then needs to be processed in order to adjust things like sharpening, white balance, brightnes/contrast and saturation (which come automatically in Jpg) and then converted to TIFF for printing or Jpg for the net... (sounds compilcated and long)

so given the above information i have decided that it would be best for me to mainly shoot Jpg and then in those rare instances where i am where an exceptional shot can be made shoot NEF so no data is lost and maximum tweekage can be made without damage.

what do you do?