Thread: An EP Role Call
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 07:44 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
OK so the 13/14mm will be the first one I’m going to buy. This i think is my favourite focal length.

The candiates....

Televue Ethos 13mm
Stellarview Optimus 13.5mm
Baader Morpheus 12.5mm or 14mm

Greg, you have all of these don’t you? I’m sure someone does.
Alas, live in Darwin so trying first wont be an option. But ive never been guided in the wrong direction from advice on here (and cloudy).

Hemi
I have Morpheus 12.5, APM Hi FW 12.5, APM 9 and 20mm XWA.
They are all spectacular eyepieces. The 13mm TV Ethos is a legendary eyepiece.
I had one many years ago. Expensive though and the APM version is not that far behind it at a fraction of the cost. APM sells them direct as well as through some dealers. Don may have one. As I focused on imaging I sold off the nice eyepieces I had except for a couple. There are CloudyNight comparison reviews between APM XWA and TV Ethos. Spolier alert - the conclusions are usually the TV is best but not by a lot and its up to you if you want to pay 2-3X more for a small gain. I am not. I am really happy with my APM eyepieces, those with the Baader Morpheus and the Pentax 7 and 10mm XW are really very very good. Stellarvue's review well also but also getting a bit pricey. It places the APM's as an all round good choice as we all have to operate in a budget.

You can't go wrong with Televue but you can get similar or better performance for cheaper generally speaking.

Greg.