Thread: Dew control
View Single Post
Old 16-06-2020, 12:17 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I am surprised the Coreflut Rappers have not made an appearance in this thread.

Just on the hairdryer use, those 12V ones do suck the juice out of a battery pretty quick and jumpstart packs have no staying power, usually only about 17ah for a quick surge for starters. A regular AC hair dryer is ok but turn the heat setting as low as possible and only use it for a few seconds to debug. Neither of those devices is a good solution for a night of imaging, where a good dew controller, like the Kendrick Astro one and the right dew strap, will keep your objective clear. Forget foil, it is fine for baked potatoes in an oven but useless in astronomy, as it is thin and sheds heat rapidly.
Well, the good thing about aluminium foil is that it costs about $1.50 and everyone has some Blutack lying around. Thus it's a pretty cheap and easy exercise for anyone to test out in a side by side test (of Telrads or finders say) whether or not the foil works and either prove or disprove the S&T article.

A 216 Watt 12 Volt hair dryer draws 18 Amps.
A 17 Amp-hour battery should supply 18 amps for 56.6 minutes.
I use my 12 Volt hair dryer on my refractor and accessories for three or four minutes at a time when I'm using it.

Which is sufficient for three to four hours of viewing, but probably not good enough for very long sessions. Would need another battery starter/power tank for that.
Regards,
Renato