View Single Post
Old 30-01-2017, 03:13 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

The cores most people going the dual processor path use tend to be cores happy to run at 2.8GHz - so that is 16 cores and 32 threads (virtualised). Why this build is so attractive is these CPUs can often be sourced for $200 - 8 core Kaby Lake CPUs are faster clock speed but a lot more expensive! The specified dual CPU motherboards are expensive (brand new around $900) but they have 8 PCIE 16 slots and DDR4 support, plus excellent independent and fast memory and I/O lanes and M2 support. You could have up to a terabyte of RAM if that were warranted.

My current rig is an old Conroe Core2 Quad chip at 2.4 Ghz - on an old Gigabyte P35 board with 8GB RAM, 4 SSDs and 8 SATA-2 drives and a NVidia GTX 1070 graphics card. It runs a 30" UHD screen plus two 24" screens (in Portrait) configuration quite well. I don't play games often but it handles them fine.

What is slow is Deep Sky Stacker. Even running all files on SSDs the processing load max's out the CPU. Trying the same work load on my sons latest i7 with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD isn't that much faster - say 30% - so I intuit the software is CPU bound.

A 16 core solution that is economically priced is worth investigating I imagine!