View Single Post
Old 23-11-2009, 10:15 AM
FredSnerd (Claude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
That may be Claude - but that's how it's been in the USA for decades - and it's worked, by and large. The tip system is designed to FILL the hole left by minimum wages and that's why people over there are upset by fools who come into the country refusing to pay because they don't need to at home. it's not as though workers over in the US are ultimately underpaid - it's just that their pay comes from two sources - wages and tips rather than wages alone. To add to that - if good service is given then the workers who are willing to work harder to provide that service are rewarded for it. In that light - it's a very good system.
Chris, you say that their emploment contract fixes their salery below minimum wage (I think you suggest that it can be very much below minmum wage). In other words less then what normal people would regard as fair or enough to manage from week to week. But they can make up their salery depending on the caprice and charity of their patrons. That is, employees putting in a minimum of 40 hours a week have to rely on charity to get a fair wage for their efforts and you're conclusion is that "its a very good system". Not in my book I'm affraid, no matter how much of a good time Duncan had when he was there.