Thread: Notre Dame
View Single Post
Old 17-04-2019, 06:19 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Don't get too teary eyed about the old building. It was revolutionary for its time, and its existence was born out of MANY failed attempts as the design evolved over many years with other similar structures, at the cost of many hundreds of lives as structure after structure failed and collapsed. Notre Dame has a lot of blood on its floor too - work safety 1000 years ago when it was started was not what it is today.

I see it as a step backwards to attempt to reproduce an obsolete design, instead of ceasing the opportunity to create a new structure with better building practices that also reflects the ideas of today, exactly the same way that the original did in its own time.

It is an absurdity to remake a flawed structure by todays standards, only to satisfy the melancholy of the heartache we feel today.

Don't get me wrong, I was in awe of the old building after studying its architecture in high school, and of its importance not just in history but in art history too. And of course I also see the same lofty elements in our own St Mary's cathedral in Sydney, and I would also feel gutted if it was destroyed. But time for the Phoenix to rise again.