View Single Post
Old 16-02-2014, 09:43 AM
byronpaul (Paul)

Well I'm the latest to join the Argo Navis family

Having recently taken possession of a 16" Lightbridge, some unsolicited but wise advise from another IIS member who shall remain nameless ( Malcolm .... barx1963 ), prompted me to really think about putting AN on the scope. I was toying around with the idea of an android app like Skeye, but all of the glowing reviews of AN on IIS and Cloudy Nights are hard to ignore.

So when SWMBO looked the other way, I placed my order with Wildcard Innovations. Gary's customer service is UNBELIEVEABLE . Constant communication throughout the ordering and delivery cycle, and I even had some newbie questions that were answered both promptly and in detail.

Having received the kit, installation really is simple. I've always thought it would be too complicated, and I'd be worried about scope transport, relocating from inside to outside for a viewing session, etc. But it really is extremely straight forward, uncomplicated and a dame fine piece of equipment.

I also wanted to install the hand unit on a stalk, so I trolled the internet for ideas, and end up finding the best one here in IIS. I've pretty much copied this set-up which cost all of $20 at Bunnings. Very easy to attach and detach for transport or relocation. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...go+navis+stalk

Unfortunately the cloud and smoke gods have been in town the last few nights, so I've not yet had the chance to try AN outside under a clear sky .... but I have been simulating inside to learn the menus and operations. This is where I have clearly been surprised by the uncomplicated but abundant features. I can already see that the power and capability of the Tour Mode is going to greatly enhance the pleasure of visual observing. I'm not good with Star Charts, and only know a handful of the usual targets (NGC104, NGC5139, M42, etc), but AN is going to direct me to similar and close by targets ..... unreal

Here's a few pictures of my AN install and scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.JPG)
195.1 KB72 views
Click for full-size image (2.JPG)
178.0 KB77 views
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
59.1 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (4.jpg)
66.7 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (5.jpg)
54.8 KB74 views
Click for full-size image (6.jpg)