View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 05:04 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerco View Post
I ran the EQ6 on a jump starter I got on special from Dick Smith for $70 dollars (about half usual price) it worked fine at IISAC. It is 70Ah and very convenient package as it has a smal inverter built it that ran the laptop OK (although the battery went down pretty quick in this mode).
70Ah for $70!!
I think I have that same pack, $75 from Dick Smith (when it was on special, normally $150) and I'm pretty sure it's 17Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm92 View Post
I know it's only 7AH, but I'm only planning on running the telescope from it, and I'm looking for portability more than anything; any bigger and it starts to get unwieldy. What are your thoughts on this?

Finally, a bit of a noob question. What is the best way for me to recharge the battery when it gets low? Are there adapters that I can get that I just plug into the wall to charge the battery? If so, any suggestions on where I can get these and what the best one is?
I think a 7Ah battery might not be enough. Also I know my mount will draw 1amp during normal tracking rate but can draw around 2amps while slewing, not sure if a 7Ah will be happy with that kind of current draw...?

You need to get a decent battery charger. I got mine from Battery World for about $100. Jaycar will also have them but I know someone who got one for $50 from Supercheap Auto and it hasn't killed his battery yet