View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 03:39 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman View Post
Hello strangers ..... i havent posted since 2005 .. found a 4 inch dob for the verandah and thought of you " bunch " ....
Anyone still observing ?
Think i met Rod again here in Canberra but not sure .

Anthony
Hi Froggy,

Nice to hear from you again and good to see you have got yourself a verandah scope.

I am still observing although not with the same intensity I used to. I go to all of the Ozsky Events at Coona which is an 8 day event that we host for visiting US observers. That gives me a fix and calms the nerves for a while.

I haven't observed much from home in the last 12 months due to the unsuitability of conditions in the temporary house I was living (like no back yard and telescopes buried). I have just moved house last Friday to a much better house with a large back yard and pretty decent skies so I plan to do some back yard observing again in the coming weeks. Unlike Rod, I have no need, or desire for any new telescopes. The 3 scopes I have are all premium scopes (18" Obsession and 14" and 10" SDM's) and due to the changing metallurgy of the construction materials used in the scopes, they seem to get considerably heavier with every year that passes . In addition I have ready access to scopes up to 30" with Ozsky so I don't need anything super large myself. I mainly do lunar / planets and double stars from home and both the 10" and 14" SDM's are ideal for this.

Hopefully we can cross paths again at some time in the future.

Cheers
John B