View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
oosh (Jason)
Citizen of the Cosmos

More newbie bino question time I've thoroughly read the article so I have a basic understanding. I've used some nice 10 x 50's comfortably, but am hoping to get something with a bit of a wider diameter to increase exit pupil size.

We originally had our eyes on some 10 x 60's from andrews which were a bargain price of $49, bak4 fully coated. A couple of other IIS members have used them and loved them, but unfortunately Andrews is out of stock of that model and can't seem to tell us when they'll have more. We're hoping to keep things fairly cheap for our first pair of binos, under $200 for sure, which of course means it'll be a trade off between optics and price.

Hoping for something around the 10 x 60 mark I found these Meade 9 x 63's:

http://www.staroptics.com.au/catalog...roducts_id=532

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'm sure I could go for a pair of 10 x 50's but I'd really like the extra light

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention. I remember reading that in regards to more light entering the lens this obviously applies to LP as well. Now we plan to be observing in dark skies as much as possible, but living in suburbia we want them to be able to resolve with moderate suburbian LP without much trouble too. I know this is really a "just go out and try them" kind of thing, but do you think we'd be best off just sticking to something simpler like the 10 x 50's? Of course we don't want to find ourselves wishing for the latter if these Meade ones (or any other model as bright) is so much less usable in suburban skies.

Last edited by oosh; 05-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.