View Single Post
Old 25-06-2019, 11:38 AM
beren

I have used Astromart for many years now and I like it very much, in all the transactions I have had with mostly American citizens brought items have been faithfully and honestly described with polite/friendly communication and well packed. Unfortunately have noticed a growing trend though of US sellers declining international sales citing customs paperwork/freight cost and pressure to under declare item cost from the buyer. To work out a deal with a international selleryou really have to research if the price after currency exchange is worth it, freight/shipping/insurance options and make a judgement call on the buyers integrity. With Astromart you have the feedback system and generally a persons full name/general location and their history of buying and selling. With that and social media, Astrobin, forums etc it doesn't take much effort to get some history on a high cost item like a CCD camera, mount or scope. I hate haggling and I don't expect bargain basement prices but will pursue something if I think its priced fairly for both parties and use all those resources to find out any background information on a item. When I communicate with a seller I don't disclose that I know any history of the item but like to ask questions to reveal if the seller is truthful.....be aware like much in life when it comes to business no one is your friend, research is key to be safe from scammers, profiteers {yep our noble pastime has this, pick up a bargain and sell it off elsewhere} and other scumbags.