View Single Post
Old 30-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Here a CNN article:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/26/w...rnd/index.html

But I don't expect an explosion in our lifetimes.

And I have my doubts about the 'red giant' nature. Well, probably I am saying nonsense, but it is just a theory.

Eta Carinae also appears red, but it is actually a very hot bluish star, but duct clouds around Eta make it red, just like the bushfire smoke makes the Sun appear red in NSW.
In this not also the case with Betelgeuse, that it is actally a hot Rigel like star embedded in a shroud of dust ?

The spectrum of eta Car and Betelgeuse are very different. The red colour is not from the same thing. The 2 images below are of the 2 stars.
The Betelgeuse spectrum is not mine as I have not taken a low resolution image. It shows that the stars spectrum is predominately in the red with strong absorption features and hence a cool star.

The eta Car is mine from some years ago. It shows very strong Ha emission that makes it look red as well as lots of other emission lines.

Bushfire smoke will not create the same thing. It will just filter out the blue end of the spectrum generally and not cause absorption lines.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (_etacar_20120610_435Labelled.png)
16.6 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (betelgeuse_20191228_890_Leadbeater_MILES.png)
40.6 KB43 views