View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

It looks like you're up for two eyepieces, we love to spend peoples money .

On October 18th for a short time after sunset, all the planets will be visible at the same time, stretching across the entire sky from east to west. Something to look forward to .

Brian, that's awesome information on the superviews. I wouldn't mind a cheapy 5mm secondhand one (one day) for my 4" as the kids love to use it for planets. My Pentax XW 5mm weighs nearly a kg so a bit heavy for it, plus it's not for kids use.

Hi Ian ,
I love to spend summer nights sitting on a blanket on the grass with that size scope. I'm so comfy and no setting up! And the kids are easily able to track planets themselves, having the red dot finder makes it even easier for them to find objects. I did an extensive obs session with Canis Major and did a report comparing the views through the 10" and the 4", great fun!

Personally, for DSO observing, I prefer the 15mm on the 4". It hits the sweet spot nicely. The view isn't too magnified and dark from high power and not wide enough that I feel like I'm looking through binoculars. I find it great for actual 'observing" an object. The eyepiece I use and love on it as Orion Expanse 66 degree field of view (fov), so yes, go the wideview!