View Single Post
Old 24-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Gama

Well, i actually bought a Canon, so thats says something.
But in anycase, i am all for the Best bang for your buck.
In this area, i know the Nikons CCD technology should kill the CMOS hands down. But of course Nikon in there wisdom went from bad to worse to "What Light ?" in their filter design.
The D200 has the worst filter of all the range of the Nikons DSLR, but its only a filter and i will be removing it ASAP if i ever get one.
In any case, i have tonight after waiting for a break in the clouds taken a 340 second exposure with NR thru a cheap 300mm f5 lens. Since the Canon has onboard filtering of the Noise, i also did a quick dip in the Noise removing program "Noiseware Pro" and also attached it to compare.
Im glad to say the image was not very noisy at all, and after the filter program the noise was all gone with no, to little visible effects on image quality.
The image ia huge, MAMA huge, i had to Bin it 3x3 before i compressed it down to 50%, so the image quality is now el crapo, but at a 150K limit i cant do much. Further more you cant see much in terms of noise removal either. But the full image version, 6 Meg is magic.
Oh yeah, i didnt use RAW either. I just used "Fine Jpeg" as the file mode.
I did this for now as the file size would be too massive, and i wanted results fast for now. For sure you can see the IR filter on the Nikon is killing the red, but that doesnt bother me as i said the filter is cactus when i get one.
What is amazing is how sensitive the ccd is. From a light polluted sky i got millions of specs of stars (Sagitarius region) all throughout the image
This is what i was hoping for originally, and so far looks to be on par.
I'll do the Canon as soon as i get a clear night again to compare it too.
Anyway look at the pics and imagine the image is 3x3 times larger !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M8 D200 340 sec bin 3x3.jpg)
143.2 KB203 views
Click for full-size image (M8 D200 340 sec_filtered bin 3x3.jpg)
141.4 KB228 views