View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Darrin (Darrin)

Hi All,

I have just joined the forum and have recently started to look for a first telescope to buy.

I have been interested in Astonomy for a while and have decided to take it one step further and buy a telescope.

I have done a fair bit of research (magazines, internet, etc.) and much of the advice seems to point to a Dobsonian mounted telescope is the way to go for a first scope.

I can see all of the advantages but not having alot of experience with using telescopes I have a couple of questions:

1) My first question - is it easy to track objects in the sky with such a large telescope - I can see the moon being OK but if you are following a plant or DSO how hard is it to keep the telescope following the object and keep it in view. Other telescopes have I've seen have accurate adjusters or remote controls to help - is this an issue with the Dobs or do you become used to following objects

2) Secondly - if some time in the future I wanted to try some photography would I be able to remove the telescope and put on to a motorised mount - if so is there a limit to the size of the telescope you can do this to (economically)

3) Are you able to use the DOB to take photos of the moon

This is a great site - It's great to be able to read throught the threads and get other peoples views and advice.

Thanks in advance