View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I decided to try my old classic Unitron (60mm, F15, altz mount) on a few targets tonight to see what this undersized classic can do. I normally only use it on the Moon and the Sun (with appropriate filters). It gave a the best image of Venus transit in 2012 of all my scopes.

I started on the Orion nebula and off course, it was somewhat faint. Yet, I was surprised of the good texture that showed within the Nebula. (at 36x)

Then to the nearby, multiple star Sigma. Three star were visible at both 36x & 100x; the fourth star being simply to faint.

Rigel: I could not see the companion, even at 100x.

M1 was visible at 36x (barely).

M41 was notable, but shows much better in a larger scope.

Beta Monoceros showed all three components at 100x, only 2 at 36x.

I could see M31 and it brighter, more condense companion galaxy, but not the other more diffuse companion.

Gamma Andromeda was split at 36x, but showed better at 100x. The colour contrast was easily seen.

That was my quick tour that took less than 15minutes. It was probably not long enough for my eyes to become properly dark-adapted.

And it was a very easy task to pick up the feather-weight telescope and carry it back inside.

(I took some photos of the scope on the weekend, but am having problems downloading them from my new mobile; I will try again next weekend).