View Single Post
Old 15-08-2012, 11:08 PM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
now notice that regardless of a meridian flip i have streaky stars to the same half side of my image both taken at east and west.

scope is a ed 120 with moonlite focuser
Can you possibly post an image of a exposure before and after flip?

If it is only one side of the image, and the other side is sharp then it sounds like your scope/focuser is out of collimation.

An example of an uncollimated refractor (elongation on the right side): http://core-au.net/astro/old/camera/1100d/1600-200.jpg

If your images sort of look like this then the first thing i would check is that all imaging equipment is sitting flush to the focuser. Next make sure the focuser itself its attached firmly and evenly to the scope. Take it off and put it back on if need be.
Failing that, you will need to collimate the scope.
Refractor collimation is normally done with a Cheshire eyepiece and most/all moonlite focusers can be collimated. You may need to email Ron at moonlite to ask for advice on it, or see if moonlite have any documentation on doing it as i have never had to do it myself.
If the moonlite can not be collimated then you will need to collimate the optics, which can be difficult. I've never done it so i can't help you with that part.

If in doubt, post an image and we can take a look.

GL.