Thread: Glass snobs
View Single Post
Old 27-04-2010, 07:00 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

For me, personally, it's not about out-doing anybody, and it's not necessarily about wanting the most-expensive. I think it's about enjoying the hobby, and when you're using your equipment you don't want to be limited by it. I'd much rather have the limiting factor be my skill, or lack thereof, than the gear. If I take a bad shot, I want to say "I stuffed that up, what did I do wrong so I can improve next time", not "My gear let me down". It gives you room to improve. There's nothing more disappointing than shooting something with inadequate gear and missing the opportunity to capture the moment.

I don't have a bag full of "L" series lenses. I do have some, but I also have some cheaper lenses. Not "Nifty Fifty" cheap, but relatively cheap. It's about their performance, not their cost.

I've thought many times in the last few months about upgrading my camera from a 40D to the 5D MkII, but at this stage I can't justify it. It's not the cost, I can afford it. By the 40D isn't reallly holding me back, it does everything I want and need it to do for me at the moment.

PS - I had the 50 f/1.8 MkII. It was cheap, and it took ok images. I have seen some wonderful shots taken with it in the right hands. But it wasn't for me. The AF I found horribly noisy and slow, hunting all over the place to achieve focus. Sold it, but didn't get anywhere near what you did! Well done!