View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

3D? Supermoon and any moon

Hello All,

Hope you can advise as to the feasibility of this. It’s a wondering that hasn’t been worked through rigorously but I'll take the plunge to ask. Sorry if a bit daft.

If field observers far apart on the globe but on approximately the same meridian line (or another better line) take images/videos of the moon, anytime (supermoon included, perhaps especially), would that create some useful (yielding info) or interesting (artistically) 3D data (to analyse) or images (to look at)?

If so, what 2 or more groups/societies could be contenders to work together synchronously? Do they have to have the same equipment or image spec. can be basic anough?

I realised 3D lunar views have been available and taken by probes. I mean can astrophotographers on the ground achieve this, for fun and interest? (I cannot do this myself but am interested if this can be done and whether it is of interest for some people to make it happen.)

Some calculations below. Please help check if I missed something or made mistakes –quite dreading this.

Thank you!
Sol

Given moon perigee 357000 km, apogee 406000 km, earth dia. approx. 12700 km.
To have a similar angular 3D effects to: human eyes separation 7 cm, seeing an object x metre away,
Distance between 2 locations on Earth needs to be y:
X =3 metres, y = 8330 km when moon closest, 9474 km when moon furthest,
X = 5 metres, y = 4998 when moon closest, 5684 km when moon furthest.

Example locations: Sth Afr to Finland 10254 km, Hobart Sapporo 9569 km, Adelaide Kyoto 7778 km.
And somewhere in Argentina or Chile to somewhere in Canada