View Single Post
Old 20-06-2019, 01:27 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

I used to go viewing in the dark parts of Pakenham. You will have incredibly great fun in Garfield with that telescope.

The only issue I can see is the 9X50 finder. For finding objects near bright stars, it will be easy enough to locate them in your finder to start star hopping from them - though it will help if you keep both eyes open, rather than try aim with just one eye.

But for places in the sky with few brightish stars, you may get frustrated. If so, a cheap red dot finder or more expensive Telrad will quickly fix that issue, since you'd aim the red dot at a star you are looking at in your atlas, and it will immediately be in the field of your 9X50 finder.

The other thing you may want at some time is a narrow band filter (e.g. UHC) which you use to identify the tiny planetary nebulas - by either moving the filter in and out the front of your eye, or just twisting it up and down 45 degrees in front of your eye. The planetary nebula either appears and then disappears, or is dim and then is brighter - which is how you spot it.
Regards,
Renato

P.S. With our current weather, you also need a way of getting rid of dew from eyepieces and finderscope and red dot finder. Plenty of ways to go about it. Simplest for me was a Projecta car starting powerpack from Bunnings and a 12 Volt hair dryer. Cheaper powerpacks may work, but a lot of them cut out when trying to use the hair dryer. My Projecta has a double use - for astronomy and for starting our cars every now and then.

Last edited by Renato1; 20-06-2019 at 05:16 AM.