View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I'm no expert but, I own an 8" F10 SCT which, whilst different is at least of similar design.. if not quality...

My max TFOV is 1.3 degrees, limited by the centre baffle tube & that is with a 2" diagonal fitted... I can only obtain this with a 38mm, 70* 2 inch EP

My max TFOV with a 1.25" EP using a 1.25" visual back is 0.88* with a 40mm 44* 1.25" plossl

I generally base my choices on targets & having a good spread of FL to cover magnifications... I also use a TV Powermate 2.5x to reduce the number of EP's needed.

I see you already have a good spread of ortho style listed in your signature; I looks like you have a reasonable spread of FLs there but, I do also use a 12mm, 9mm & on an exceptional night a 6mm.. I have KK Fujiyama's & I use them exclusively for planetary work.

For widefield.. I have Meade S5000 UWA's. In 1.25" I have 14mm, 8.8mm & 6.7mm.. I find these super imersive (if that makes sense) when viewing larger nebula & pretty damn good on the dimmer stuff. These have an 82* FOV.. they are a little hard to get these days as they don't make them anymore... I have found a source in the US with some FL. I understand there is an 18mm 1.25 in the series but, I don't own one..

I'm told ( I've never tried them) that the Explore Scientific 82* series are also good but, again, you will be limited by field stop/baffle tube diameter..

I have a spread sheet I lifted from elsewhere that allows you to put in telescope data & EP data to look at TFOV, magnification, etc... I found & still find it useful when considering EP purchases..

In general, I find my most used EPs are probably my 12 & 9 ortho's for planetary & of my meade UWA's in the 1.25" probably the 8.8mm. I find the 14mm meade UWA to be not as good as the others in the stable..

I've recently acquired a Vixen 13mm LVW which I'm told will be exceptional... I can't tell yet... it hasn't stopped raining here for nearly a month...

I don't know if any of this helps but... probably all the expertise & experience I have to offer..

If you pm me your email I would be happy to send you a copy of the spreadsheet if you think you might find it useful..

Cheers