View Single Post
Old 25-09-2018, 08:48 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Alex,

I diagnose and repair scientific instruments for a living. I am familiar with the
type of problem you are describing.

Many good suggestions already provided though many of them regarding anti-seize products are preventative and won't help you on this occasion.

1. Squeezing or gripping hard can distort those thin rings and lock the threads. Sometimes a gentle rather than rough approach works.

2. As already suggested, place some rubber bands around the circumferences of the two pieces so you can get some grip then unscrew them but without squeezing hard. Multiple thin ones work as well as wide ones if you don't have wides. Grip the bands with as many fingers around the diameter as you can manage. Pressure at two points distorts the ring the most.

A bit of heat applied to the outer (female ) thread can also help release a lock thread. With thin rings, this can be difficult to manage.

Camera repairers have special filter wrenches for removing seized filters from camera lenses.

If you still can't do it, don't get rough, you'll probably damage it. You're welcome to post it to me and I'll get it apart for you. The you can use some of the suggested anti-seize suggestions to prevent re-occurrence.

Cheers

Joe