View Single Post
Old 30-10-2011, 04:14 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheshire View Post
Wow! Thanks Greg. You have summed up a good many questions that have been revolving around my head. I keep coming back to FLI Microline, which is slightly more expensive than other makes as I recall. As you say, as an all rounder FLI seems to have good characteristics in several important areas.

I think given my skies (it has been raining for weeks now) and AP opportunities QE is important. I just need to feel satisfied that the pixel size is appropriate.

Thanks again. I'll keep chipping away at this.

EDIT: I see that the KAI 4050 is 5.5um.

EDIT: and available in Apogee - not FLI - which is my next choice behind FLI.

Rowland.
I am sure FLI could do a Microline with the 4050. They must have just missed that one.

FLI Microline would be better than Apogee Ascent as Ascent is only 30C cooling or thereabouts whereas Microline is more like 60-65C. But Ascent is quite a bit cheaper.

I had an Apogee U16M camera and it was a great camera. Just the slow cooling plus the cooling could have been stronger but I would image at -25C whereas with the Proline I image at -34C usually. Also the FLI has faster downloads otherwise they are quite similar. Alta is thinner and lighter than Proline. Proline has fast downloads, powerful fast cooling.
Alta with DO9 body has powerful cooling as well just slow and the firmware won't let you hit your target temp if it goes over a preset % of power supply which is also annoying and also adds to the time it takes to get there. Don't know about the Ascent temperature controls. I imagine they are similar but who knows it may have been changed. I think Apogee pride themselves on making a camera that will last for a really long time and they take a very conservative approach based on achieving that.

Greg.