View Single Post
Old 14-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Protiotype (Ray)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Not sure what the weather is like in April (apart from colder) but for what it's worth it was beautiful and clear on the two days I was there.
Yeah I'll have to weigh up poor weather statistics versus that of Texas. It will be nice to visit Canada though and since the duration will be longer, I may well gamble that way. Just around 6 so years to save up and decide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Sounds like a great trip! Just be aware that the weather in the Pacific NW is generally cloudy...I spent some time in Seattle a few years back, beautiful city, if you get the time take a day trip out to Mt Rainier, up to Snoqualmie to see the falls featured in Twin Peaks, there used to be the cherry pie shop there too The view from the top of the Space Needle on a clear day is breathtaking, and ride the ferry out to one of the islands and back for the classic view of Seattle from the Sound. The Columbia river valley is stunning too, and the contrast in landscapes on the opposing sides of the Cascade range couldn't be more stark. If you're into aviation, you might want to take a trip to the Evergreen museum while you're in the Portland area.

I never made it to Portland, but both SFO and SEA are very hilly...you should get plenty of cardio cycling around there

Yeah the coast in the path isn't very good but Madras should hopefully be the best in the country.

The passenger in seat 11D (great eclipse chat; Joe will head to Idaho) of my Alaska/Horizon Airlines Embraer 175 actually pointed out a snowed up Mt Rainier to me! I won't be able to fit it in this time but will see if I can sight it with my binocular if I get a clear vantage point. I'm actually thinking of going to the Sky View Observatory instead of the Space Needle, based on reviews comparing the two.

I'll definitely get some "biking" in - from what I observed from the sidewalk today (and the previous night after finally arriving at my destination at close to 23:30 PDT)), it seems a friendlier place than Brisbane but I'll still need to try it from the saddle. Some of that is actually enshrined in the language of the road rules (amazing what small differences can make).

For Seattle, I originally had plans to see both the Future of Flight (Boeing) tour as well as the Museum of Flight; but right now I need to keep my schedule flexible and easy so we'll see how much I put in.