View Single Post
Old 18-03-2017, 06:26 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Windows 10 a warning.

Microsoft's worst ever OS has done a number on my laptop.

After booting I ran some software to program a security system as I have done several times before.

I plugged in my serial to USB adapter, detection as as expected. The software however couldn't see the device despite having the correct port set and the Coms adapter being visible in the device manager.

Simple enough, I closed the software and elected to reboot.

At this stage nothing had crashed and there were no abnormal messages. On shutdown win 10 decided that there must be a problem and that it would fix the problem, no choice, the OS simply blundered ahead, apparently scanning and correcting non existent problems.

End result was that the "fix" resulted in scrambling all the user data on the HDD as well as stuffing the master boot record. As the install was an upgrade it was impossible to recover using any of the usual techniques. I finally checked the HDD in a dock with the intention of retrieving what little data there was only to find that there were thousands of cross linked check files.

Moral of the story, don't trust win 10, back up everything of importance and don't rely on windows recovery, luckily I have backups of everything of importance as well as a cloned HDD of the pre upgrade HDD.

FWIW system restore is turned off by default in win 10.

Nice one Microsoft......

Last edited by acropolite; 22-03-2017 at 11:45 PM.