View Single Post
Old 16-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Eris (Gerard)

Hi Peter,

Thanks again for your suggestions. I haven't had a chance to test the Dec motor/tracking yet - another cloudy one. Re clutch slippage I am starting to wonder if this may turn out to be the problem. The mount has been living in an insulated shed equipped with a small cooling air conditioner for about 10 years now. Up until last year the roof was insulated as well with 50 mm Styrofoam sheets which was brilliant for keeping out the heat. It kept the interior very cool on hot days. This insulation was unfortunately blown off in a storm and I have been temporally making do with thin shielding on the roof and an insulating blanket over the scope and mount. However, I have noticed that in spite these temporary measures and with the air conditioner running the temperature in the observatory on hot days still got into the upper 30's. So the point I am trying to make is that if it is clutch slippage it may have come from oil separating from the grease as you suggest onto the clutch pad in a heated environment over the summer.

If the Dec test does not work out I may be forced to take this next step to try and solve the problem and yes of course replace the roll off roof insulation asap.

I have found this website below which I hope will guide me through the procedure if I go ahead.

https://seeingstarswi.wordpress.com/...lescope-mount/

Also, if re-greasing bearings is required is there a recommended type of grease which must be used with this mount?