Thread: Hong Kong E-Bay
View Single Post
Old 18-06-2008, 09:56 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

occasionally they do not have the 'world wide warranty' This meaning that if something should go wrong, it must be sent back to HK for repairs, rather than being fixed at one of the canon service centres in Aus.

Also, Note the shipping on most of these items and their prices are set up to be deceptive.... if the item is 670, and the postage is 79, then 749 for the item in your hands, is not always much cheaper than one from australia. Also, you will see alot of them have varying postage rates from HK for the same item, this is due to the way they scale what you pay for each, giving you a lower item price with a higher postage rate, making the less aware people on ebay think they are getting a better deal from one supplier than another.

Its much of a muchness.. I've bought a few things from HK, my nikon VR70-200 f/2.8 for example, attracted a rather nasty import tax, which i was told by the seller that I would not have to worry about.

The import tax (if applied) plus the cost of postage will almost certainly negate any savings on the actual item price (taxes only applicable on items costing over $1000..)

Hope this has been helpful.
Alex.