View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 07:20 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Improving my first newtonian telescope

Hello,

I am after advice and tips on how to cheaply improve my night time viewing, the funds are driven by the left over gold coins, so my budget is minimal.

Firstly, my scope - SW 8" collapsible(goto). 2nd hand and somewhere along the way encountered a car at low speeds, (I think the car was moving not the dob...) the impact was great enough to crack the 18mm chipboard base.

I have since copied over the pieces to pine and have a fairly usable scope, however, there is a little "stickyiness" over 30 degrees or so on the azimuth. Its easy enough to work around, but I think the bolt on the base may have a slight lean in it from the impact.

Tips for helping set the tension on my alt would be great, the sliding magnet helps a lot, but I seem to be for ever adjusting the alt bolt between nights. I do use both 1.25" and 2" ep's, with and without a 2" barlow (with 1.25" adaptor). Also tips on how to refine collimation off a star in the dark solo would be great.

Here's what I've done so far trying to get the last few .% gains for urban viewing, easy of use etc. (ty to all those that post these tips)

Oil stone on the focuser plate to grind to a flatter finish, which was a great improvement for me.

Black board paint -
the end of the focuser tube that protrudes into the scope,
the 2 runners and flat focus plate were taped over to gap the paint edge.
and any chromed screw heads inside the tube assembly painted black.

Home made shroud (yoga mat, stiff cardboard for a few spines and covered in black velvet)

Dew cover ( read -more light protection against the neighbors patio lights though)

Dew control - got lucky and the dog won't use the $30 heated mat we got him, so I had been using that very effectively over winter with a couple of bungee straps. (His budget is a lot better than mine.)

A door stop (thanks Mike Salway) makes a lot of sense and hadn't seen that one anywhere else

Adjustable plastic legs for the base which allow for 150mm of travel and gives me a good gap away from the ground and is easy to level.

Setting circle of a sort - phone (with compass app and red light screen) against the base for Az and an digital inclinometer with a magnetic base on the tube. I have a 2" 80 degree 30mm ep, this setup gets the object in view and I change ep's as needed from there. I would prefer a printed setting circle over the phone though, but I'm having trouble finding something that will print at 510mm and not lose resolution or accuracy.

Butchered the $10 stereo from a garage sale for a heap of nice magnets and cut the pockets out of an old shirt to protect the tube. Very handy after getting some cheap 2" eps and barlow to blow my balance out yet again.

Collimation - Collimated within the laser window, however on a star test I do bloat out slightly over a small part of the arc.

Storage - Two option in-house, spare room seldom used but soon the water evaporate will be in use, or the garage, get very hot and its dusty but seldom used as well. Throw a blanket over the unit when not in use. (happy to setup and wait before use, more interested in best practices for storage)

Tips on a do-it-yourself bob's nobs setup from a supplier like bunnings for the SW 8" collapsible tube? I was thinking of butterfly heads bolts, but I would prefer not to have to re-assemble the telescope when I bring it in and its easier to move around if I can rest on end for setting up.

---------------------------------
Added from comments:
Adjustable barstool - (Get a back rest if you're in the colder climates, helps a lot with trapping heat around your lower back)
Right angle finder scope - Why this is is not standard is crazy.
Cooler Unit: Removable and padded against vibration
---------------------------------

So, what else can I do, what are hints and tips for newbies I've missed?

Thanks for reading this far,
Steve.

Ps. “Mura Gardi” means a pathway for searching in the local Ngunnawal language, the language of the first Australians around the Canberra area.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 16-10-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: descriptor on the title