View Single Post
Old 22-05-2013, 08:16 PM
PRejto (Peter)

I can't comment on PixInsight since I've never used it, but I've heard that it takes a while to master but is then great. On the other hand since you already have Photoshop you might find using CCDStack quite attractive as a first step. There is a free trial and it has given me excellent results. If you go that route I can highly recommend the two tutorials by Adam Block, one on CCDStack and the other on photoshop. In my view each tutorial is well worth the $100 price tag. Another source of good info, though now a bit dated, is Ron Wodaski's book (out of print) "The New CCD Astronomy." Besides a wealth of info on all aspects of imaging there are lots of processing tips.

You mentioned something about your image turning white? I doubt that is from stacking unless you are summing all the images. What you want is a median combine not a sum. Or, it could just be over stretching in your image stacking program. I'm not familiar with the one you are using, but CCDStack gives a lot of option about how your final stack is viewed and saved and uses DDP (digital development) and allows for deconvolution before moving into photoshop. I use a mono camera so have not paid attention to 1 shot colour processing, but I know CCDStack does this and the Block tutorial covers it. I'm really happy using CCDStack + CS-5. I use a couple of very useful plugins with photoshop - Noise Ninja, and GradientXterminator.

Good luck!
Peter