View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 12:34 PM
CraigS
Unpredictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
All Chaos Modeling is doing, is confusing the issue....it's largely irrelevant. All it's doing is just taking a different perspective to how you view quake physics. It makes no difference to the energy released and the length of time they last.
I'm not sure I could ever see how a predictive model could ever make a difference to "the energy released and the length of time they last", (as per my last statement, in my previous post).

However, clearly the emphasis is still on collecting data, and crunching it in forecast models .. theoretical processing techniques will always be demanded from scientists, in order to make sense of the data ...

Quote:
McCloskey said that the massive 8.9 quake Friday was, strictly speaking, an aftershock of a nearby 7.2 magnitude quake two days earlier, despite it far greater power.

"We have calculated that the stress field from the 7.2 quake on Wednesday is consistent with the triggering of this earthquake," he said.

But connecting the dots with the Tokyo region, several hundred kilometres distant, is far more difficult, he added.

Experts also look for patterns in the thousands of quakes that occur across the globe each year.
Cheers