View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 09:00 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
How do you do the white on black ? as in the middle one above
I use the Mellish Technique for my astro sketching. It was developed by the late Scott Mellish, and I was so fortunate to have had Scott demonstrate his technique to me, and as it happened, just a few months before his death. What is so remarkable about the technique Scott developed is just how easy it is to use, and just how effective it is in its simplicity, particularly for it to be done in the field at the eyepiece. If you do consider having a go at sketching this way, try a few practice sketches at home in the light of day copying a photo (change it to black and white if it is a colour photo), and get a feel for the materials and technique. Try to do this straight off first time at the eyepiece and you will struggle as so much of it depends on finesse of touch and control of loading of dust on the brush. Get the feel for it first, and it becomes a breeze to do at the eyepiece!

To see me at work in the field, a good friend made this little clip of me doing at sketch at a star party a few years ago.

Alex.