View Single Post
Old 15-07-2017, 01:03 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I'd say it would be close to a miracle to get a flat field on an SCT reduced to F3 at prime. Why not use an hyperstar which has better correction if you want to go that fast?
Cheers Marc, interesting none the less, guess its something one needs to experiment with, if plausible, & tho am preferring near the 1mt F/L at moment as well, it may be another option
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Not sure what the correction is like on that F/3.3 reducer BUT I know the imaging circle is tiny, thinking about the same size as a guide camera chip!
Thanx Colin, wow, I didnt enter the idea of considering the Image circle, , never have actually !
Sounds like it has a rather intense effect in this situation
--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
Hi Bob,

First of all I only know a little about this but here goes:

The 3.3 has been around for a while and when it first came out, and for a while later, the CCD sensors on cameras were very small. Worked well back then, but I think that you would get a lot of vignetting with today's size sensors.

I have the GPS LX200 10" and almost always use the 6.3 reducer which is also meant to flatten a little as well and that works well. In the Meade 3.3/6.3 manual, it states that they both do some flattening so you may not want that with your ACF.

It's always nicer for a faster image though, and I can recommend the AstroPhysics - CCD Telecompressor(CCDT67). Same as focal reducer.
No flattening.

From their website
http://www.astro-physics.com/product...&%2027TVPH.pdf

But hey, if you have a 3.3 or can borrow one, then give it a go. Then you will know exactly how it works with your gear. I did that...once.

Cheers,

Damien.
Hi Damien, & I much appreciate your feedback here, all very worthy of mentioning
I should atleast try giving my 6.3 a go with imaging, and see what it produces.. Then take it from there
Good Stuff