Thread: Which Camera?
View Single Post
Old 18-08-2009, 06:21 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
HI Folks,

Was going to get a camera for my 12” Newt so thought I would ask for peoples opinions first.
Am I right in thinking that with the sub $1K budget the DSLR will be the deep space piece of kit and I should just focus on the guiding and planetary aspects of new purchase (the DSI Pro II was to try and cover all 3)? These might have been my selections but if there are others I haven’t thought off I would love to hear about them as well as your comments on the above choices (pro’s and cons).

Anyway looking forward to the responses so thanks in advance
Haven't seen any answers yet to your question, so I thought I'd give you my 2c worth, if it helps

I'm a newbie in the same boat as you, and same budget. Just for background, my scopes are C8 SCT and SW ED100 plus a couple of smaller guide scopes all on an EQ6 plus a SP900NC unmodded guider/planetary webcam.

I already have an unmodded EOS 1000d and just today have made the big decision for me:

I just contacted Gama to order a QHY5 to use for guiding and some planetary playing around. For the time being I'll use the DSLR for deep space happy snaps, with the QHY5 doing the guiding.

My decision eventually came down to matching my astronomy abilities at this time to sophistication and cost of equipment, so I decided to keep it simple for now. (and only cost another $350 for the QHY5, which should be a major guiding help in making better DSLR deep space photos.

After all, it's all just happy snaps until you can afford the big guys stuff

Hope this may be of help in making up your mind.
Cheers