View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 01:27 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
Earlier I posted pics my Tak FOA-60Q mounted on my newly acquired Tak PM-1 mount. Recently I was going through my old Unitron collection and thought the 60mm OTA looked about the same diameter tube as the FOA-60Q which in fact it was, both exactly 68mm in diameter. Considering I've had the Unitron for nearly 50 years it is near new condition and mated with the PM-1 mount perfectly. I've spent the past few nights reacquainting myself with the Unitron and apart from the dreaded purple halo (in some people's opinion) the scope was sharp and clear even by Tak standards. Stars are pin point and on higher powers show textbook diffraction rings. Jupiters bands were sharp and contrasted but the purple halo was quite evident. Funny I never really noticed the purple fringing when I was younger, never bothered me and still doesn't. I've yet to try out my fringe killer filter when I can find it.
Looks lovely.
Had the 4inch F15 Alt Az which my Parents got for me late 70s..purchased from Astro Optical at Clark St Crows Nest ,as a reward..
Was about 375 from memory....I stupidly sold it some years ago to a Farmer in Jamberoo.
It snapped to focus and had RAZOR SHARP images...aperture fever kicked in I guess.

PS:
+1 for the Fringe killer; not much of a colour cast, if at all..aging yellowing eyes do the job for some!
Bigjoe.