View Single Post
Old 27-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

Thanks for the reply David. I have been following your posts a bit and it is great to see your enthusiasm. I really enjoy finding galaxies even though a lot of them are tough targets in suburbia. 4945 is pretty easy to see from my place. I am lucky in that the sky is fairly dark overhead. I use a 26 and 18mm eyepiece to find galaxies, and a 12 for a closer look. The 18 is better because greater magnification increases contrast. You are right about the lights. Our area is not too bad though, we are on the northern edge of Lismore Heights and street lights are not a problem. It is good to see someone sketching DSO's as I used to do a few drawings years ago, but yours are much better. It is very satisfying to look at something done with your own hands and skills, rather than with 5 grand's worth of imaging gear. When I was observing in the 1980's I used setting circles to find things, so like you, with a 12" dob, learning to star hop makes finding things a challenge. I can't afford an Argo setup, one day maybe. Cheers, Paul.