View Single Post
Old 24-01-2021, 02:13 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Mine has a stop washer under the screw on the end of the focus shaft.

The calibration routine you did is for the Celestron motor, you need to do that to get a valid reading on the end stops so that the motor does not try to run it past the ends. You only need to do it again if you remove the motor (So you loose the fixed positions if you happen to move the focus knob manually) or maybe after a firmware update. I assume if you turned the focus motor manually while powered off you would need to re calibrate too.

One thing I did was reverse the focuser direction in imaging software (I assume you can do that in Indi?) as in Celestron speak, "Out" is moving the mirror outwards from the rear cell of the scope, which is optically equivalent to "In" on an external focuser such as pretty much everything else has. I had to do that when using SGP as the focus runs took longer and were not as effective as they could be as it would move the focuser "Out" for the initial focus image and then the 8 steps inward, all of which required backlash compensation as they were with, rather than against gravity so it added a fair bit of time to the run and actually impacted focus quality as the mirror had not always settled by the time it shot the focus sub.