View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 07:12 PM
glend (Glen)

Thanks guys. I think Ray is building a flat box for his ASI1600 so i might try and copy his when its complete.
Re the exposure times in narrowband, my filters are Ha 7nm, OIII 8,5nm, & SII 8nm; is there a way to work out required exposure? Obviously they should probably be shot at the Gain and Offset settings used to capture Lights, right?
As to light pollution, i am in a pretty dark location, above 20 on the SQM but with some skyglow from Newcastle, but most of my imaging is done on targets to the east, so i shoot out over the ocean - pretty dark out there.
I try to avoid full moon periods and either side, and always wait for the moon to be well away from the front of the scope, 45 degrees is my norm. I do not shoot any Oiii when the moon is up.
Typical targets right now with my new camera are emission nebs so they tend to be fairly bright. Light sub lengths with this camera are curently 60", relying on alot of them stacked. I have been doing all my testing without flats and was pretty happy with the outcome. Being a new camera, the sensor and cover glass are both clean. Filters were cleaned prior to install in the filter wheel and still appear clean.