View Single Post
Old 13-10-2011, 10:32 PM
LucasB (Lucas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Here's one that just appeared in Astromart:
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds...fied_id=750286
I don't know anything about the seller but that's both items for close to your original budget for a 130mm alone.
Shipping to Oz would be around $900 and there would be GST of around $1400. Then there is the buy exchange rate so
you'd lose about 4% on top of whatever the dollar is at the time which at the moment is close to parity.
So all up mount and TOA150 would be about AUD$15,000 for what is about AUD$24,000+ new (depends on what accessories he is including).
It may be worth a little holiday in the US eh?
Greg.
That is a super deal. I saw that very set up (new) for $27,000. I don't mind the shipping but that GST is a killer! Do you also have to pay import duty on 2nd hand goods? I'm not sure. Is that why you are suggesting a holiday to the US? How would that work? Can I just bring it back as "extra luggage"? It's not that small so I imagine it could attract a little attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yep if the budget can go out to $15K odd, I'd recommend having a close look at this one! The NJP is a killer mount and could carry two TOA's 150's at once Robins Astromart rating speaks volumes too.
Mike
Definitely a great deal Mike! Like you say it's a great mount. Worth an email to Robin to see what it comes with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionoz View Post
Apparently he had tried to sell scope on 3 other occasions since March 2011 @ $15K (assuming that this one is the same as advertised then with the same bits & bobs) - in 2007 he flew and delivered a scope he sold (a TOA130) to San Antonio in his private jet prop!! Looks like this scope is aro 6yo

(I might be wrong and I stand corrected if that is the case )

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Good to know. It means he is more negotiable!

If I were wanting I would offer a lower figure to see how definite that price is. The US economy is still in the doldrums and I think its a lot harder for them to sell high end gear like this. Also not everyone wants a mount with the scope so that would make it even harder.

Greg.
Greg/Bill,
Might be a steal! Might try and get some more details. Had the pleasure of looking thorugh the Officina Stellare Hiper APO 130 last night. It was quite something. It did split Antares (which was a little low) , Jewel box was stunning , M7 pinpoint stars. Used a WO quartz diagonal and Carl Zeiss Jena eyepiece which was a treat. Fantastic visual scope! But once again value for $$$ is the big question. I have seen AP scopes for sale on Astromart and CN classifieds for $5000-$6000. So has SWMBO who has suggested maybe we both go to the US for a holiday and pick up something like this. I saw an AP130 F6 + mount and a whole buch of Televue eyepieces and barlows for $6250 on CN classifieds but not sure it is a really safe place to deal considering all of the warnings the website puts on there regarding scam deals. Then again like you Greg I am very partial to the Fluorite triplet so have not ruled out TEC but their most appropraite for me is the TEC160FL. Guess I could always have crack at the TOA150 and sell the OTA and buy a TEC160FL if I wanted to. I have recently heard nothing but glowing reports regarding the TEC160FL photographically and visually. And to be honest the current IOTW shows how good a TEC140ED is for photo.
Then again, buying the 130-140 gives me more portability and the budget to get the accessories.
Ahhhh it's all fun but I think my head is going to explode
Regards,
Lucas