Thread: Scope's-R-us
View Single Post
Old 20-08-2008, 07:06 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
as for unfair advantage , as an average income earner whos not likely to put aside $50,000.00 or more for quality equipment, it seems only the well heeled can expect to really compete at the level that deepsky imaging demands within these competitions.
Weeelll actually Clive....Phil Hart won the amateur wide field section at the DM awards this year with a DSLR and 50mm lens!!! He did a beautiful mosaic of the Crux region that I actually commented on to Martin Pugh before the competition as my pick for the dark horse to creep up and actually win the overall Prize, it was that bloody good!!...I was almost right, David Malin obviously loved it too . Phil ALSO won the amateur solar system section with an image of the lunar eclipse taken again with a DSLR this time through an Tak Epsilon 160.

http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news...rofest/awards/

Most importantly though, Phil did not pay a proffesional imaging collection service to collect any of his image data...

I think some of your work is really excellent too Clive, so don't sell yourself so short

Quote:
its not something that affects the average astronomer, so i wont be losing any sleep over it.
Good so now you realise that yes you too can do it even with very modest gear.....go and lose some sleep and take that next David Malin Award winning entry

Mike