Thread: Digital SLR's
View Single Post
Old 13-04-2005, 02:20 PM
robin
Brave Sir Robin

I own a Nikon D100 & love it. I haven't got fully into astro photography as yet,just some moon/occultation pics & a lot of press style freelance photography. I'm led to believe that the D70 is better suited to H-alpha response. It is slightly more expensive than the D70. The D100 has a 'buffer' which to some shooters,may be a hassle when rapid fire shooting is necessary whereas the less expensive D70 doesn't have that buffer. (a buffer is when the camera will allow you to only shoot so many pics b4 it stores them to the flash card.I can shoot up to 6-8 hi-res 'fine' jpeg's b4 the buffer kicks in ,immobilises the shutter & stores them)...I'm out of shooting action for several seconds b4 i can snap again.Shooting big tiff files has a much longer buffer - i shoot 6 hi-res tiff files & the buffer can be up to 1-2 minutes) The D70,as i understand doesn't suffer from this caveat.However the D100 can be equipped with an optional battery pack/grip which gives the camera a big & impressive 'press' style look to it which i love because it gives you something substantial to hold on to...both cameras have their +'s & -'s but for me it had to be the D100 for my freelance work.
As for which is tougher...drop a canon/nikon titanium body or a plastic body on concrete( i have on several occassions) & the sound is sickening!...I have owned 11 nikon cameras