View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 04:55 AM
spaceout
Fresh Blood

Hi there, nice score.

Wood and felt would work, myself I would swap the solid hardwood out in exchange for hardwood plywood like apple or Baltic birch, as a split in solid wood may cause the ring to fail.

Another option would be to have them 3D printed. It shouldn't be difficult to find a person to print for you, I happen to know there is an enthusiastic base of 3D printers on your continent.

What you'll need to provide them is a STL file. (Forgive me if you know this already)

If you are able to make one out of wood, it would be very similar to draw one out of plastic. There are a plethora of software out there with various reason for choosing them, for various reasons I won't go into here, I would just go with one that is basic, easy to use (TinkerCAD? haven't tried it)and can get you a STL. (Even if you have to use a converter to get from the native output file to STL) Most common printer beds are ~8"/200mm square which should be big enough to print rings for your scope, perhaps even in one piece. (Print in PETG(Polyethylene), PLA will deform in heat, Nylon is extremely difficult to get it dry enough to print properly to enjoy any benefit.)

Either way, go with whatever is easiest. If you don't have the 3D printer physically close to you, perhaps it makes more sense to use wood should you have to reiterate a dimension.